Fast Track Bulletin 2016-02 – Ransomware (Critical)
Date: 18 July 2016
Dear Esteemed Customers,
Please escalate this urgently to your top management for their immediate action.
Kindly refer to the below link for critical alert from CyberSecurity Malaysia
For more information, click here
Basically, ransomware is a form of malware that infects devices, networks, and data centres by preventing them from being used until the user or organisation pay a ransom to have the system unlocked.
Please don’t think this is very remote from you and your organisation is always spared from this ransom attack. This is already happened to many Malaysia companies and suffered huge losses from the attack. In recent weeks, we have seen cases with SAP server being locked and they demand for million dollar ransom, payment in Bitcoin. Initial findings and news indicated that it is structured and organised attack. Perhaps, high profile organisation such as listed companies are in the high possibilities for attack.
Your organisation may incorporate the 10 precaution steps as recommended by CyberSecurity Malaysia as company policy. Please execute immediately and maintain constantly. Apart from that, kindly ensure the following as extra precaution:
- Your data such as email and SAP data, being backup daily, and must be kept outside the production server.
- If the backup is at production server, we can’t do much as well.
- Introduce sophisticated password with minimum 8 characters + special characters, and change regularly.
- Please perform your restoration test immediately to ensure the backup data is good and intact.
- Please refer to Chapter 6.1.4 Backing Up Databases (Page 123) and Chapter 6.1.5 Restoring Databases (Page 131) in SAP Business One Administrator’s Guide for more official recommendation from SAP.
Should your team has concern and inquiries, please don’t hesitate to communicate with our consultants. Thank you.
At Your Service,
Fast Track SBOi Sdn Bhd